Monday, February 14, 2011

Hands Sketch


My very first project this year is the pencil sketch of the married couple holding hands. I originally came up with this idea in my photography class last semester. The assignment was to take pictures of hands and I knew I wanted to start with the classic frame of holding hands. The people I used for the photo aren't even married- in fact they are brother and sister.
When starting on the sketch rendition of this photograph, I first used the grid technique to get the proportion right. I then started with my lighter shades and slowly moved to the darker shades. It took me a while to effectively use the darkest shade, but I eventually came pretty close to it. I'm not very comfortable with how boxy the fingers look compared to in the photo. I feel like it makes the sketch unrealistic, but I am unsure how to fix it.
Overall I feel this sketch went very well. I accomplished my goal that I started with: to effectively portray emotion through a pencil sketch. Although parts of the sketch are unrealistic, I feel it's a good start to this semester.
I have attached my reference photograph and a video of the final sketch.

No comments:

Post a Comment